Flexible PCB is also called flexible circuits, FPC, Flex PCB. It is a kind of technology used for assembling electronic circuit by mounting electronic devices over flexible plastic layers or coverings. The coverings are either polyimide or PEEK. Besides flex circuits can be printed over silver screen made up of polyester. Flex circuits are manufactured using identical components of printed circuit boards (PCB), therefore they are called flex PCB. They are widely used in the following technologies.
- Computer keyboards
- LCD fabrications.
- Organic light-emitting diodes.
- Used as connectors in various applications.
Advantages of Flex PCB
- Easy to replace multiple connectors.
- They are mainly single-sided circuits ideal for high flex applications such as LCD.
Disadvantages of flex PCB
- The higher the rigidity the more the pricing.
- Damaging risk increases during handling or use.
- Assembling the parts is difficult.
- Repairing becomes difficult due to complex mechanisms.